The school is sited in a peaceful, rural setting, near the village church. There are beautiful views over Oldbury, the surrounding countryside and across the River Severn. It was founded by Public Subscriptions and a government grant in 1854 and given Voluntary Controlled status in 1950.
Our intention is to provide a caring, stimulating and welcoming environment within which each child will build his or her esteem and self confidence. These personal attributes enable the acquisition of skills, concepts and knowledge that will equip them for life.
In the beginning
Originally, there was only one large classroom, with “a Gallery”, in which over 100 children were taught by two teachers until school-leaving age. Fund-raising took place in the village in the 1890’s to pay for a separate classroom and cloakroom for “the Infants”. Soon after the school assumed Voluntary Controlled (V.C.) status, education in Gloucestershire was re-organised.
Hard-surface paths and playground were laid. Electricity was supplied and mains water. (Previously, drinking water had to be collected from the Rectory daily in buckets!). Central heating replaced the wood fired and coal stoves which has caused “smoke and smuts” and “made the children cough” for 100 years!
Our school today
The school has three classrooms. There are generous resource areas for the Library and The Computer Suite.
The playing/sports fields and hard play area are well equipped, with climbing apparatus, playground markings and games. There is a pond, conservation area, wild garden, forest play area, sand pit, trim trail and a vegetable patch.
The school continues to enjoy close links with the church and to be strongly supported by a caring and generous local community.